Whether you know it or not, mold thrives anywhere and everywhere specially in places that have increased level of humidity, warmth, and damp conditions, perfect for the Boca Raton weather. Just because mold grows everywhere, does not mean it cannot be prevented. It should be prevented before it starts to not only effect your property, but your family as well. However, if you’re going through a mold problem at this moment, you’re probably wondering what you can do next. Well, you can either file a claim through your insurance if the mold damage is extensive, hire a public adjuster for claims help or you can hire a mold remediation professional.
In many cases, mold and mildew damages are not covered by a standard homeowners’ insurance policy. A lot of insurance companies have no coverage mold. They don’t give coverage because they believe that it is held within your responsibility to try and prevent or repair it within your own means. However, if you do want mold and mildew coverage, many insurance companies will offer you a buy0back endorsement. This means that you pay more money for your premiums in exchange for mold coverage. You are basically, paying more just to have a small percentage of coverage for mold damage.
Filing A Mold Insurance Claim
If you know that you have coverage and are looking into filing a mold insurance claim, here are somethings you may need to provide in order to ensure your insurance company to give you the best compensation that you need:
- Give them your information such as, your name, address, phone number, email address and policy number.
- The details of the damages such as, when, where, and how did it happen.
- If you called any authorities, get a copy of police records so that you can also give that to your insurance company.
- If you have already took steps to mitigate the damages, then keep all the receipt information and hand that in as well.
Insurance Companies vs. Public Adjusters
Public adjusters are individuals who advocate for you in your claims process, they also negotiate on your behalf to give you the maximum compensation coverage that you need for whatever claims you have made to your insurance company. Insurance companies, on the other hand are not in the business to give you the money that you need or deny your claim. They essentially will help you, but only public adjusters work on your behalf. That is why, if you want to file a claim or have already filed a claim and your insurance company has not offered you anything for the mold damages or compensated you for a very low amount, contacting an experienced public adjuster from Churchill will be more than beneficial to you! Here’s the process of how our public adjusters can help give you an estimate on your damages:
- Call one of our public adjuster for a free consultation
- Have a follow up meeting in person to talk about the damages made to your property
- Hire an inspector and if not, our public adjuster can look at the damages
- Lastly, our public adjuster would look into the damages and give you an estimated amount and negotiate this with your insurance company.
How to Control/Prevent Mold
Taking preventative measures in mold growth is vital because if the problem isn’t prevented or handled at first had, you will face consequences to your property, yourself, and your family later on. Some ways to control or prevent mold growth are:
- Reduce humidity levels as low as 50% in your property. Turning on your A/C or dehumidifier can help you decrease the levels.
- Have enough ventilation inside your home especially in the bathroom where you shower that contains a lot of humidity and your kitchen where you often cook.
- Be sure to fix any leaks that you may have around your home.
- If your home has had flooding, clean it and dry it out as soon as you can and if the flooding is severe, hire a professional to help you get the job done.
- Use mold-killing products when you clean your kitchen, and bathroom.
- Take out any carpets that may have gotten wet.
How do mold and mildew differ from each other?
Mold and mildew are different types of fungi and can thrive in moist and humid environments, this makes Boca Raton a prominent place. They vary in color and texture and can grow rapidly. However, mildew is easy to clean up with a regular cleaner and scrubbing brush, while mold is difficult to remove. Hiring a professional for mold remediation is the safest route because they are trained in safely removing mold from your property.
Am I able to test for mold in my home?
Absolutely. Majority of home improvements stores carry a mold testing or detection kit. It is not a reliable source though but testing it for signs of mold can help you prepare for the next step.
Will it take long to remove mold if I hired a professional?
Mold remediation done by a professional can last for a week. However, if the situation is a lot worse than they think, it could take longer.
How do I know if I’ve been exposed to mold?
Some symptoms to watch out for are irritated eyes, congestion, multiple migraines, runny nose, and coughing are likely a sign. If you’re worried about mold exposure, reach out to your doctor for the best treatment.