Roof leaks are common in majority of homes due to the wear and tear or the hurricanes and thunderstorms that are ever so prominently in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The rainstorms we get combined with the sun’s radiating heat causes the roof to collapse or have shingles being torn off of them. Moreover, roof leaks are caused not just by natural disasters, but it could also be due to a broken pipe that may have damaged it.
Here are a few common causes of roof leaks:
- This is probably the number one common cause for roof leaks. The materials on roots can only last as long as you make it but by prevalent rainstorms and hurricanes especially in Ft. Lauderdale, roofing materials can cause wear and tear and sometimes missing shingles.
- Things like leaves, pine cones/needles, or twigs can cause water floor backup if not removed from your roof. Although we don’t get fall weather as much as the north, it is still important to clear our roofs from these kinds of things so prevent waterflow backup.
- Shingles are missing. This usually happens when we get strong winds during hurricane season. Hurricanes and even tropical storms can cause shingles to fall off of your property causing a leak. Sometimes it isn’t even natural disasters that cause it. It can simply just be wear and tear.
- Holes made by objects. If you removed your TV or cable antenna it can leave a hole where it was installed. This hole can cause water to go into your home even if its very little.
- Backup in water flow. This goes back to leaves, pine cones, pine needles and twigs that can be causing a gutter back and blocking water flow off of your roof. Investing in a gutter cover can help prevent this.
Am I Covered By My Insurance?
A standard homeowners insurance will cover you for roof leaks or damages if it is not excluded in your policy. If you are unsure of whether or not you are covered under your policy, speak with your insurance agent so that you are not stressing out if you do need coverage for a roof leak.
Homeowners insurance vary from each company. You will be covered on the extent of the damages and based on all the documents you give them. If you are unaware or have a hard time dealing with your insurance company or policy, seek one of our experienced public adjuster in Ft Lauderdale in order to accommodate you of your needs. Call now for a free consultation!
In Order To File An Insurance Claim
To avoid denied claims, you need these items to give to your insurer so that your insurance claim can be filed properly:
- Document all damaged areas. Take pictures and videos as needed as proof of evidence
- Keep your family safe and away from flooding waters
- File a claim and call your contact insurance agent
- Mitigate the damages in your home
- Prevent the spread of mold growth
- Board up your house and inform any authorities if necessary
Damages Done By Roof Leaks In Ft. Lauderdale
Roof leaks don’t just flood your home, it can cause more structural damages than you think. If you are a victim of a roof leak/s, here’s what you can experience:
- Mold and mildew growth
- Slip and/or fall, it is advisable to keep your family safe
- Damaged electrical wiring in your property can cause a fire
- Utility bills will be higher than normal.
- There’s damage in your attic
Roof Leaks Case Study
A family’s home in Tamarac was experiencing an unknown source of leak in their home. They then figured out that it was a roof leak so they immediately filed a claim through their insurance company and received a letter stating that their claim was denied. The insurance company believed that the roof leak was caused by groundwater build up that the homeowners could have prevented. So the family hired a public adjuster and obtained a total amount of $18,500 for the roof leak.
Preventing Roof Leaks
Prevention is important to take so that you won’t be dealing with a messy roof leak and your insurance company, you save time and the financial burden. Some tips for preventing roof leaks are:
- Look for the common place for roof leaks. Spaces such as your roof for missing shingles is a common one, skylights, plumbing vents and even if your chimney if you happen to have one in Ft. Lauderdale.
- Shower leaks. Leaks can be found in showers but it can be temporarily be fixed with plastic sheeting.
- You can fix any roof damages by using some of your handyman tools to temporarily reduce damages.
- Missing shingles. These can be replaced by new ones easily and you can even do it yourself so it can cause you less money than hiring a professional. But if fixing your whole roof, it is best to contact a professional.
What are my options for installing in a new roof?
You either restore or replace your roof. You can restore your whole roof with an entire set of brand-new shingles OR you can replace the entire roof completely.
If only one of the rooms had a leak, how long is the restoration going to take?
Since the leak is only in a small portion of your home, it could take no less than a few hours to a day. If you’re replacing your entire roof, it will take a lot longer.