With the amount of rain West Palm Beach, FL gets it’s important to always be on top of your roof condition. If there is a leak that occurs it’s important to contain it the best you can before it causes too much flooding and structural damage to the rest of your house. As a reminder always be proactive with checking your insurance to make sure that it’s covered before it’s too late.
Why You Don’t Want to Deal with A Leaky Roof
West Palm Beach is prone to thunderstorm and the scorching hot sun all year. Even though we are used to the weather, our roof isn’t. Just like any other appliance, they are prevalent to wear and tear and can deteriorate through the years. This means that if a roof breaks, you end up having to deal with a lot of leaks or damages in general. You can experience things like:
- Damages to the interior of your property with a leaky roof.
- Mold and mildew are also very common and expensive to get rid of if it prevails in huge amounts
- Roof leaks can result in a slip or fall if a person within the property doesn’t know.
- Your utility bills definitely go through the roof
- Your electrical wiring can break and cause a fire
Insurance Companies and Roof Leak Claims
If you are experiencing a leaky roof in your Palm Beach home, you may be entitled for a reimbursement if you’re filing an insurance claim. Most cases of roof leaks claim are covered by home insurance companies. However, you may also need flood insurance if the leak caused a flood in your home. This means that homeowners insurance is only covered by the dwelling coverage in your policy which includes structural damages or even wind, fire, and hail damages.
If you are not sure of what to do or how to get started call Churchill’s public adjuster to help you every step of the way! We will explain to you the roof leaks claims process and if your insurance process will get denied or did not give you the amount that you thought of, we will negotiate with your insurance company for you to get you the right away for the damages that were made to your home. Contact us today!
A family in Delray Beach had a roof leak in their two-story home. They took all the necessary steps to file a claim and their insurance company paid them nothing because their claim is below their deductible. The family then hired a public adjuster in Palm Beach County to reopen their claim and gained a reimbursement for $21,000 without litigation.
Preventing Roof Leaks
- Routinely check places where roof leaks are common. The first place to check is obviously your roof, it could be missing shingles or have a small hole that doesn’t really affect your home but if it’s not fixed it can become a bigger problem later.
- Leaks that are coming from the shower or attic. A temporary fix to this issue is to put plastic sheeting over the leak to fix it.
- Do it yourself leaks. It is quite easy to fix a small problem, all you really need are flashlights, tar, nails and hammer. They can be found in any handyman toolbox
- Replacing shingles. This is also a quick and easy fix. If you find a missing or damage shingle, replace the old one for a new one.
How should I know if I must install in a new roof?
Well preferably if there are many missing shingles and is damaged by wear and tear, if your roof is leaking, thunderstorms or any natural disasters. Other than the obvious, there really isn’t any time or bad time to put in a new roof. Palm Beach county in and of itself encounters thunderstorms and rain showers majority of the time so renewing your roof is technically up to you. But if it is long overdue for a repair then do it.
What are my other options if I want to install in a new roof?
It all depends on what your budget allows but you can either get it repaired by fixing broken shingles or get an entire brand-new roof instead.
I’m in the process of preparing for a new roof installation, what should I do to make the process easier for the professionals?
Take anything down anything that could be on your walls or built in shelves or anything loose that may fall because the vibration coming from the hammering on your roof will cause them to fall. Clear out your driveway and look to see if the contractor you hired put plywood on the ground so that if anything falls, it will be protected and won’t cause damage to your flooring or car.
How long does replacement take if its just one room in my home?
If its just a single room, it can take a few hours but never more than a day. If it’s a bigger leak then it can take a long time for repairs. It also depends on the contractor your hire.
Are all roof leaks caused by missing shingles?
Not entirely. Most leaks are caused by damages in chimneys (if you have one), ridge caps and/or skylights. If in the instance that it is due to a missing shingle it is because there has been a widespread damage through layers of them.